Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Author K.L. Belvin Discusses Memoir Writing @ AtBaP

For the month of JANUARY, All the Blog's a Page (AtBaP) is looking at memoir writing, and this week, we're featuring K.L. Belvin, author of A Man in Transition!








For January, I asked the following set of questions:
  • What do you think is the lure of memoirs for readers?
  • Do you think there is a bit of egotism on the part of the writer who focuses on memoirs as a means to “tell stories”?
  • Why did you, as writer, feel compelled to write your story
  • Why did you feel compelled to share this story with others?

In answering the question, Do you think there is a bit of egotism on the part of the writer who focuses on memoirs as a mean to “tell stories”, Belvin stated, "I wouldn’t call it egotism on the author's part. There are times you want to use your life to simply tell a story so those that reader can get a clear picture of what you’re trying to offer the world. In some manner I believe it’s more therapeutic than egotistical. I don’t feel authors jump up and down and say see me, look over here, my story has to be shared or the world won’t keep spinning. I can’t see it being the motivation. In my book even with the use of poetry, I want my story to be taken in and understood. Not for ego sake but with an idea of helping others to learn from my own mistakes and triumphs. Ego can be held under the microscope with a memoir; however, I don’t see it being the force behind the motivation to write."


To read the rest of K.L. Belvin's thoughts on memoirs and to read an excerpt from his book, head to All the Blog's a Page!


You can also check out authors CD Mitchell's and Versandra Kennebrew's takes on memoir writing, too!


ALL THE BLOG'S A PAGE (AtBaP) - Where everything relates to writing
[http://alltheblogsapage.blogspot.com]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home