Monday, October 27, 2008

TNC Interviews Authors Deaubrey Devine & Stacey-Deanne

Shon Bacon, editor of The Nubian Chronicles, interviews authors Deaubrey Devine and Stacey-Deanne for TNC's Fall 2008 issue.


Deaubrey Devine


Click cover to purchase YOUR copy of DESTINY HOPE FAITH DIVINE today!


INTERVIEW EXCERPT


TNC: Deaubrey Devine: THE SOUNDTRACK! What three tracks would make it onto a soundtrack of your life, and why?

DD: Never Would Have Made It-(Marvin Sapp) I chose this song to represent my life because of all the trails and tribulations I've experienced and knowing that God is the only reason I got through them all.

My Love - (Joe) I'm full of expressions, communication, and caring with a giving heart. I love to cater to my woman and make her feel important and special.

Good Life - (Kanye West ft. T- Pain) This song represents me as a person that likes to experience, explore, and enjoy a blessed life to the fullest. Sometimes it's healing to just kick back and have a good time doing the simple things that makes you feel happy.


TNC: Who are some of your favorite writers, and how do they inspire you as a writer?
DD: Both Eric Jerome Dickey and Carl Webber are very inspirational writers to me because they both write about relationships that one can relate to. I'm also inspired and driven by Michael Baisden for his entrepreneur desires and self motivation.



TNC: What have you learned as a writer since the publication of DESTINY HOPE FAITH DIVINE?
DD: As a writer, I've learned that you have to remove yourself and personal feelings to the side to write for the reader's. I've learned that reader's want to be entertained but also they want to be able to get something out of the story. It's important to deliver a message with a page turning flow so readers can enjoy the read without putting the book down.



Stacey-Deanne


Clickcover to purchase YOUR copy of MELODY today!


INTERVIEW EXCERPT


TNC: In screenwriting, a logline is a one-sentence summary of a script. Typically, a logline does three things: tells who the main character is and what he/she wants, tells who or what stands in his/her way, and tells what makes the story unique. Having said that, imagine the poster for MELODY: THE MOVIE. What would its logline read?

SD: Melody has always had a reason to dislike her sister's new boyfriends…now she has a reason to fear one.


TNC: What was the spark to which your novel MELODY began to take shape?

SD: I would definitely say when I thought of the character Keith. Keith is the antagonist in the story. He's the villain and since this is a thriller,the novel feeds off of Keith's actions. Keith is the one who moves the story and there would be no purpose for Melody without him. He's not only Melody's obstacle in the story, but he is also the purpose for her goal. She spends her time trying to get rid of Keith and expose him for the menace that he is. She soon finds out that this is not an easy task. He stops her (in unpredictable and frightening ways) at every single turn, leaving her cornered every time. She knew the guy was charming and even sneaky but she soon finds out he is also dangerous. From the opening chapter, the sparks between Melody and Keith explode and from that point on Melody embarks on a quest to find out the deal about this mysterious man.


TNC: What's your favorite thing about MELODY?

SD: The character Keith is the main thing. Like I said there would be no Melody without him. He is my favorite character because he is the villain. He makes you so excited to see what he's gonna do next. He even surprised me a few times, LOL. Also, I let loose with some things that happened in this book and I pushed the envelope a bit with the subject matter. That was very exciting. Melody was the first thriller I've written. I originally wrote it years ago,in 1997. After writing it, I saw how fun it was to write thrillers and mysteries. I began writing more thrillers. I felt like a vampire I suppose with her first taste of blood. After that taste, there was no turning back. I wanted more,
LOL.


To read more of Deaubrey Devine's and Stacey-Deanne's interviews, head over to The Nubian Chronicles' STRAIGHT FROM DA PEN column and check them out!


The Nubian Chronicles - Writings of the Black Experience

[www.tnc-magazine.net]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home