Saturday, February 11, 2006

Interview with author Kim Robinson

MORE THAN TALENTED Interview by Nicole Marie Stevenson



Allow me to properly introduce author Kim Robinson who wrote a The Roux in the Gumbo, which tells the story of her history. Can you tell us a little about your book?

It starts in the 1800’s in Louisiana telling the story of people who helped my great-grandmothers and grandmother whose life story I tell through the migration to California and goes through to 1997 to my grandmother's funeral. Back in the day women had a lot of adversity to overcome, but they also had the heart to help others. Every person adds something to everyone he or she touches. This story has slavery, reconstruction, prohibition, and the depression era.


What made you feel compelled to write The Roux in the Gumbo?


I was bedridden during the end of my pregnancy, and my grandmother came from California to help me out. One day we were watching Oprah talk about her life and my grandmother said, “Shoot, I could write a book. I had a lot of stuff happen to me. Shoot, you should write one, too.” She started telling one of them old stories, you know the kind you have heard a few times growing up and since the computer was set right next to the pull out couch in the den where I spent my days, I said, "Lets do it. I bet everybody in the family would like to read it." When she went back home, I bought her a tape recorder so that when she thought of something she could tape it and send it to me. Every few months I sent her tickets and she would come and stay for awhile. My grandmother suffered a stroke during a spinal cancer surgery and went into a coma. I printed out what I had and went to California. I would sit by her bed reading and the family asked me what I was reading and when I told them they said they wanted to read it. My mother made some copies and gave them out. One day while I was reading to my grandmother, she said my name, though still in a coma. Everyone said that I had to finish the book. She died a few days later. When I went back home, my family members would call me and give me their memories and send tapes that I added to the book; my grandmother’s sister and I would talk over the phone, and I sent her a ticket to come but sadly she got sick and died before she could come, but I did get everything she wanted in. My mother came and started reading and giving me her memories and here you have it. The title is because everyone who has someone who influenced his or her life, just as the roux base or gravy in gumbo influences every spoonful.



How long have you been writing?

I used to write poetry as a kid, and have always been an avid reader, I started this book in 1993. I didn’t get serious until my granmother died because her spirit is always around me encouraging me to finish.



Do you feel that you told the story the way your family would have wanted it or approved of it?

I left out a whole lot of stuff so that no one would get upset. I believe that my ancestors all approve of this because it is a way of carrying on their memories, and they were amazing people who persevered through a lot of tragedy. I feel in my heart that what I am doing is God’s way of using me to help others.



What does it mean to be Capa Nominee?

Actually my email was blowing up with congratulations on my capa, and all I could say was "Thanks, but can you tell me what a capa is?" Romance Studio was one the first people I queried about doing a review for my book. Most of the reviewers on the list I was given accepted the book, but I only saw a review from them and in the library reviews. I was very pleased with what Diane Tugman wrote, and she even wrote to me before finishing the book to tell me how much it made her think of her own grandmother. Capa is where the reviewer picks the book they liked the most. Diane picked me. I am very grateful.



Besides writing is there anything else you like to do?

I love to cook. I spent a lot of time in my Grand mother's café “Mom's Soul Food,” in Los Angeles. My grandmother always said that there is no greater gift you can give someone than a plate of food. You feed the body and you feed the soul, and always cook in good spirits because that will go into the food. I also love to sew curtains, comforters, and clothes. I have been sewing since I was seven; my dad was a tailor and I loved hanging out in his sewing room with him and it stuck. Spending time with my family is also something I cannot get enough of.


What advice can you offer to others?

Don’t give up. I have over 200 rejections letters and when my writing gets me to the point where I can build a house, I am going to wallpaper with them, with my contracts and book covers right in the center for incentive. If God has put it on your heart to write something, you should do it because you never know what your words can bring to someone’ life.


Do you have support from your family?

Yes, My kids read everything I write, and my husband pays! My grandmother's sister helped and my parents pushed me to complete it.



What can we expect from you next?

My next work is G Momma; it tells the story of an ex-gang member/prostutite who raised five kids. She feels the penitentiary ain't nothing but a college. It will be told in an eight-book series.


Visit Kim at her site!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia Hubbard said...

That was a great interview!

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Sylvia..I'm looking forward to an interview with you!


Regards
Nicole Stevenson

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home